1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
Took a pregnancy test. Bought said pregnancy test at the dollar store. It worked!
Professionally, took an intern and it was a fantastic experience. I'm a better teacher for it.
Got two of my Junior Silver Ice Dances.
Learned to Salsa and do it fairly well.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't tend to make New Year's resolutions. Sometimes I follow Lent. Short terms goals are my thing.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I've been pretty self obsessed about MY upcoming birth experience. What?!? Other people had babies before me? My friend Kristina had a baby girl in the summer. My friend Leah had a baby girl last week. I'm sure I'm forgetting some...
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank goodness.
5. What countries did you visit?
It was the year of USA. I think I visited 16 states. I also visited Uruguay and Argentina.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2012?
More time relaxing at home. And I will get it.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
You would think that I would remember the day I found out I would be having a baby. Nope. I really don't know. But it was a process. First test - maybe? Second test - probably? Third test - I think so? Doctor's visit - this is it! In the future, I will know that a faint line is still a line. I was really patient.
July 27, my dad turned 60! July 1, Val got married!
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I became a better wife. I hope my husband agrees.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I know that I became a lot more self centered. I'm sure people are annoyed. I think it's a pregnancy symptom.
In skating, I failed to consistently help with the juvenile team and I did not learn all of the dances I would have liked. I was so, so nervous when I took my test that I did not even come close to skating my best. But I passed all the same.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Since becoming pregnant, I had but one tiny little cold. That is a miracle. However, I have never vomitted so much as I did in 2012! I suppose I skinned my knee and bruised my leg falling at the Grand Canyon. That was ridiculous and I'm lucky the results were not a lot scarier!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Gosh, I certainly spent a lot of money in 2012. It could be a vacation. Something I did on vacation. It could be a gift. Not maternity cloths, as I really don't like them. But they are so necessary.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My husband, as he has totally stepped it up and taken care of me for the past 8 months. My class this year, they are little gems.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
It's professionally related so I can't say too much. But it's not kids and it's not colleagues. Fill in the blank.
In the world, the appalling mass murders in Colorado and Conneticut. The politicians who said appalling things about rape and pregnancy. In a word: Syriah.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
There was so much! The trips, the weddings, the announcements, but of course, the foetus wins. I think the foetus will always win.
16. What song will always remind you of 2012?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvCBSSwgtg4 "I belong to you, you belong to me..."
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? Happier. Not that I recall being unhappy. But I'm pretty happy now!
b) thinner or fatter? I'm the hugest I have ever been in my life! I never would have imagined I would gain this much weight. I plan to breast feed and hear that burns 1000 calories a day. It better. And I better forget my love of chocolate!
c) richer or poorer? Richer. In preparation for soon becoming poorer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Reading. Books.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Vomitting.
20. How did you spend Christmas? Exactly as I had hoped. Christmas Eve - church. Christmas morning, at my parents. Christmas dinner, at my parents, with my inlaws. It was great.
21. Did you fall in love in 2012? No, just remained.
22. What was your favorite TV program? Mad Men
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? I'm a lover not a hater.
24. What was the best book you read? Did I even read a book? That's sort of a sad question to ask. But I did! Plenty of pregnancy info related stuff but I gobbled up Brining up Bébé.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? I do not work to develop my musical interests so no discovery.
26. What did you want and get? So many things! Many awesome trips, pregancy, a great class, fun with friends and family, the list goes on.
27. What did you want and not get? Restraint! (re: the large weight I have attained!) A new job, but it all turned out for the best.
28. What was your favorite film of this year? Meh, nothing sticks out. I really didn't see too many movies. Too busy doing other things I enjoy!
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? Old! I reached my mid-thirties, no denying it. My life is more than one third over. I had a lovely day. I slept in, had brunch, visited with friends, went out for supper and joined an adult party but shared cake with a 12 year-old who shares my day!
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Less heartburn. Less nausea. Whatever. Not that big a deal.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012? Belly obsessed. First third - I'm too fat! I look pregnant! (HA HA HA HA!) Second third - Can I still wear this? Third third - Check out my belly! It is so RIGHT THERE! Can't miss it!
32. What kept you sane? Not wine! The balance between rest and fun and work.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Meh. I dunno. I was pretty relieved that Obama won the election.
34. What political issue stirred you the most? Abortion. I am appalled that it's still on the table. I think it's a bit odd that a happily pregnant lady wants to defend abortion rights, but I do! Even if I disagree with it and have heard some appalling stories, I still think it's a right we should have.
35. Who did you miss? My husband, when he went on trips without me. But I didn't miss him on trips I took solo!
36. Who was the best new person you met? My intern!
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012. Life is beautiful!
40. Resolution for 2013: Be a good mom.